H4EAD Name update while working with Employer?

Hi,

My wife received an H4 EAD with the below Name :-

First Name : “Given Name” in Indian passport
Last Name : “LNU” because she had blank “surname” in the passport.

This name is technically fine for us, but in some documents she have name like below
First Name : “FNU”
Last Name : “Given Name” in Indian passport

And since she is already working with an employer from last few weeks now, and we would like to update her name in H4 EAD, so that all her documents have the same name.

So in this scenario, could someone let us know how can we do that while still working with an employer.

Thanks,
Gaurav

If I were you I wont worry about the name on EAD if the employer doesn’t have any issue and if it matches with the passport which is the primary ID for non-immigrants.
If you still want to pursue fixing the name, you will need to reapply for EAD and your spouse can keep working on existing EAD till the new is issued.

Hi @Kalpesh_Dalwadi

Thanks for sharing the information.

The reason why we want to pursue her name change is because she is not able to get her driving license with name “LNU” as DMV is not accepting that in SSN.

And since she just started working, so we were thinking to get this fixed to avoid any problems which may come in future. As H4 visa stamp also have FNU.

Our main worry was whether we can file while she is working as her employer already did I9. So thought to check here.

Thanks

You can file another application and can keep working while it is processed. Once approved switch to new EAD.

Thanks @Kalpesh_Dalwadi

[Hi @Gaurav.Kumar16, (and hello @Kalpesh_Dalwadi)
I am in a similar situation and trying to get rid of FNU/LNU by updating passport and now looking to update the EAD card. Please can you share your experience and help me with below Q’s? Additionally, from What I understand, visa and I94 can be updated when traveling out of the country, get re stamped and return.
Questions -
Q1 - With this no change in I94 or visa anytime soon, will the OPT EAD card name will be updated by USCIS with I94 and and visa having FNU/LNU, and while I am working with the current employer?
Q2 - So, after reaching this state of updating name in passport, or in similar situation has anyone tried to update the EAD card and were successful?
Q3 - Is it required to notify employer that I am updating my EAD card?
Q4 - Can I still use my old valid visa with FNU ABC XYZ if the visa slots are not available in India for re stamping? Thank you.

Hi,

My situation was below

Indian passport
Given Name : XYZ
Surname :

H4 Visa stamp : FNU XYZ

When we entered US the I-94 was generated as - “XYZ LNU”

At that time I called the i94deffered inspection site and asked them to update I-94 with below name

FNU XYZ

They did that by seeing the H4 visa stamp and was easy

Now when attorney files H4EAD he mentioned name as

XYZ LNU

And we received H4EAD and SSN with below name

XYZ LNU

So now our some docs have FNU and some had LNU

Then I filed the H4 EAD application again with name as below

FNU XYZ

During this application I did not submitted my old card but I explained that I am filing this for correction of name, so they issued the H4 EAD with below name

FNU XYZ

And then we took that and went SSN office they also corrected that with

FNU XYZ

And now we have everything with this name - FNU XYZ

If you have any other questions do let me know.

Hello Gaurav, noted, and thank you much for the clarification.
As I understand it was completely based on the I94 update. Thank you.