H4 Visa Interview while H1B amendment is in progress?

Hi Anil,

I am in US and have a valid H1B visa and I-94 till July 25 2021. Recently my Company filed H1B Amendment due to change in client & location. Can my family attend for H4 Visa stamping while my H1B amendment is in progress? Please Suggest.

Appreciate your response.

Hi @manne

It is risky to attend H4 visa interview while amendment is in progress and if you have started working for the new client/location.

Visa officer may ask questions about your current client and work and if the details do not match the approved H1B i797, then it may be an issue.

1 Like

Hi, i had the similar case. My h1b amendment was in progress, and the orginial one was valid. I had already started working on the amended location too so my salary slips were containing the new location information.

My spouse attended the h4 visa stamping interview in mumbai consulate and presented the copy of my approved h1 and receipt of my amendment petition.
Visa officer stamped his passport with the validity end date of my approved petition without any issues.

So this is my success story, things can go either way, but fortunately they went the positive side for me.

Regards,
Jaya

2 Likes

Thanks Jaya for sharing your expereince. My wife and kids having interview on Nov 5 and 6th lets hope for the best.

If possible could you please list out the questions which were asked during interview.

Hi Praveen,

I am also having same issue. Can you please explain what happened in your case

Hi Praveen,

I am also in the same situation. What are the questions were asked during the interview?

Hi Manohar, My spouse and kids both were attended the interview, visa officer asked general questions. Below are the list of questions I remembered.

1. Can you show us a marriage certificate?
  2. In what city and state does the employer of your spouse live or is located?
  3. Why do you need a USA visa?
1 Like

Hi Praveen,

Thanks for your quick response.

For the above questions, what do we need to respond to for the city and state of your spouse, like we must respond to the new city or old city since still, my amendment is in the process?

And also why do you need a USA visa what will be the response?

And I have a few questions, if you suggest or respond your experience will be very helpful.

1. Since Amendment is still in process, are there any additional questions related to that or any additional documents we must carry?
  2. And in DS-160 which receipt number we must enter, the new one or the old one?

Hoping your spouse and kids got the visa on the 1st attempt.

Thanks in Advance!!

Hello Manohar,

Do you remember what receipt number you had put while filling out DS-160 for your spouse?

I am currently similar situation i.e. My H1B amendment is in progress(for promotion. My employer, location and client all remains the same).

For H4 stamping, in DS-160, did you put old receipt number(of H1B) or new receipt number(H1B amendment)

Thanks,
Yogesh D.

I gave my old receipt number only, as the new one is still in process

How about the location. Ist the new or old ?