Extend Initial Entry Date after Australia 189 / 190 visa grant

We’re in the same situation, our first entry date is in July, but we want to extend it. When I sent them email requesting to extend because of the travel conditions and social distancing etc, they replied that they understand the situation but if I need official document of approval of extension, then I will need to submit relevant documents for my specific situation. Not sure what exactly I am required to submit in this case. Have anyone else tried it? Any other experiences with extension of initial entry date during covid-19 pandemic?

Thanks,
Amit.

can you please update it here what happened when you contacted them? We got time until end of July, but dnt see any flights coming to Australia atm.

how did to contact them? Can you please share email?

Hi @JaiGoraya

Please read the discussion from top before asking for email. Everything has already been shared.

You are repeating questions.

1 Like

I was in the same situation, a bit worried as to what can happen if I could not travel to Australia before my IED(Subclass 190 Visa) due to Covid19 until I saw this blog, and mailed them (skilled.support@homeaffairs.gov.au) mentioning my hiccup not to turn up if this situation continues(International travel ban) and also giving all my details as in name, country, visa grant number, date of grant etc.

To my surprise I received an Automated response in a minute with the below content:

INFORMATION ON FIRST ENTRY TO AUSTRALIA

This information is only for holders of one of the following Skilled visas
 Skilled Independent (subclass 189)
 Skilled Nominated (subclass 190)
 Skilled Regional (subclass 489)
 Skilled Work Regional (subclass 491)

If you were outside Australia when you were granted one of the above Skilled visas then your visa grant will be subject to visa Condition 8504 which provides that:

The holder must enter Australia as the holder of the visa to which the condition applies before a date specified by the Minister.

This condition requires that each visa holder must make their first entry into Australia before the “For first entry, arrive by” date specified in the “Grant Notification” letter. Under the Migration Act 1958, failure to comply with visa conditions can render a visa liable for cancellation.

Skilled Migration is aware there will be circumstances when you and/or family members (who were granted a visa as part of your application) may not be able to comply with this condition, for example due to global travel restrictions.

Generally we will not seek to cancel a Skilled Migration visa where the only reason for doing so would be breach of Condition 8504.

Visa Validity Period

If you are not able to make your first entry into Australia before the “For first entry, arrive by” date you can use this
Notice when you travel to Australia during the period for which you hold a valid visa. Information about your visa
validity period is specified in the “Grant Notification” letter, as the “Must not arrive after date”.
We cannot extend the validity period of your visa, and if your Skilled Migration visa ceases for any reason then you
cannot use this notice to enter Australia as the holder of this visa.

Travelling to Australia

When you travel to Australia within the visa validity period you should present this notice to travel providers. This notice should be sufficient evidence for a travel provider to be satisfied that the visa holder can enter Australia as the holder of a Skilled Migration visa. Visa holder(s) may wish to carry a copy of this notice to present to the airline when checking in at the airport and on arrival into Australia. Please note that some delays may be encountered upon arrival into Australia while visa validity is verified…etcetera "

Anil, I hope this is some sort of extension letter.

Hi @madhupasham

In the extraordinary situation like COVID-19, Australia immigration should not cancel the PR automatically as per my information.

They do understand that you cannot travel and hence, you can enter after your IED date as well.

Hi,

I also got the same automated response with an attached notification explaining the same that I can enter Australia even after the IED date but before the visa valid date. I assume, they have waived off the IED date for all PR visas. If anyone else have any information please confirm.

The attachment got the below content.

NOTICE FOR SKILLED MIGRATION VISAS HOLDERS
INFORMATION ON FIRST ENTRY TO AUSTRALIA
This information is only for holders of one of the following Skilled visas
 Skilled Independent (subclass 189)
 Skilled Nominated (subclass 190)
 Skilled Regional (subclass 489)
 Skilled Work Regional (subclass 491)
If you were outside Australia when you were granted one of the above Skilled visas then your visa grant will be subject to visa Condition 8504 which provides that:
The holder must enter Australia as the holder of the visa to which the condition applies before a date specified by the Minister.
This condition requires that each visa holder must make their first entry into Australia before the “For first entry, arrive by” date specified in the “Grant Notification” letter. Under the Migration Act 1958, failure to comply with visa conditions can render a visa liable for cancellation.
Skilled Migration is aware there will be circumstances when you and/or family members (who were granted a visa as part of your application) may not be able to comply with this condition, for example due to global travel restrictions.
Generally we will not seek to cancel a Skilled Migration visa where the only reason for doing so would be breach of Condition 8504.
Visa Validity Period
If you are not able to make your first entry into Australia before the “For first entry, arrive by” date you can use this Notice when you travel to Australia during the period for which you hold a valid visa. Information about your visa validity period is specified in the “Grant Notification” letter, as the “Must not arrive after date”.
We cannot extend the validity period of your visa, and if your Skilled Migration visa ceases for any reason then you cannot use this notice to enter Australia as the holder of this visa.
Travelling to Australia
When you travel to Australia within the visa validity period you should present this notice to travel providers. This notice should be sufficient evidence for a travel provider to be satisfied that the visa holder can enter Australia as the holder of a Skilled Migration visa. Visa holder(s) may wish to carry a copy of this notice to present to the airline when checking in at the airport and on arrival into Australia. Please note that some delays may be encountered upon arrival into Australia while visa validity is verified.
If you are unable to use this notice then email skilled.support@homeaffairs.gov.au with the details of the relevant issue and supporting evidence. If supporting documentation is not provided you will not receive a further response.
This notice can only be used during the period for which you hold a valid visa.
Children born outside of Australia
Please be aware that for a child born outside of Australia (where neither parent is an Australian citizen) you will need to apply for; and be granted; a visa for that child prior to your travel to Australia. For more information about applicable visas please refer to the Department’s website. See: www.homeaffairs.gov.au
Issued by Skilled Program Delivery SA - General Skilled Migration
April 2020

1 Like

Hi Anil,

With regards to a family IED (Initial Entry Date) extension, I had seen the text in one of the excerpts above “The letter can be used individually or together”.

Does this mean that if the primary applicant receives the reply allowing to make the entry after the original IED but before the visa expiry date, the single email is applicable to the whole family? Individual emails from each family member is not required?

Thanks!

Hi @only333

There is no harm in sending an email for each family member separately and get a reply.

Does it make sense?

1 Like

I also have a 189 visa and I sent an email to them and I received the same automated message.

It’s sad because they are not super clear in terms of how long after my IED I can come to Australia. Can I come 6 months later, 1 year later?

And because it’s not clear, if I arrive 1 year later of my IED, they have the power to cancel my visa if they wish.

What do you think, @Anil_Gupta?

@Daniel_Horta @madhupasham
Was there any template or subject line that you guys followed in the email for asking of Initial arrival Date extension to skill support?
I am just asking this since most of you guys have told you received an automated response.

Hi @Daniel_Horta

They should not cancel the visa as this is an unprecedented situation due to COVID-19 and they have acknowledged it in the automated email.

Don’t worry. You can enter Australia until the last day of your 5 year PR term.

I dint follow any template here. In the subject just mentioned IED Extension for 190 Visa sub type.

Hi Anil, My IED is Nov 25, 2020. Since Im a teacher, I can only travel during the summer holidays(July-Aug). When I asked for an extension, I got the same automated reply. Can you advise me on this?

Hi @Nazia_Ahmad

I can only help if you ask specific questions.

Thanks for your reply Anil. My plan was to complete my first entry in July-Aug (during the summer break in UAE) but cannot travel right now due to travel restrictions. However, my IED is in November, will i still fall in the category of ‘cannot travel due to restrictions’ and be able to avail the IED extension?

You should be able to travel anytime before the end of your PR term (5 year).

Hi Anil,

Need your help. Me and my family have 190 PR Grant with first entry needed by 20 Nov’20. But due to COVID and as we are expecting child have dropped mail to “skilled.support@homeaffairs.gov.au” for first entry extension. We only receive auto-generated mail. Any other way to reach out to them and avail extension of first entry? Request guidance pls. Thanks

Hi Nazia,

Saw your post of IED you have received. I’m also looking for extension due to COVID.

I did drop mail to “skilled.support@homeaffairs.gov.au” but only getting auto generated mail. Could you guide me on email id’s you have reached out and time they took to grant you IED. Thanks in advance

Hi Gopi,
I emailed at skilled.support@homeaffairs.gov.au (same email as you) and only got an automated reply.
The IED (Initial Entry Date) is on the grant letter that I received in Nov 2019. Looks like they are not handing out specific extension dates at this time.