Extend Initial Entry Date after Australia 189 / 190 visa grant

Extension of Initial Entry Date (IED) is possible

You can request for extension of initial entry date by sending an email to Skilled Support skilled.support@homeaffairs.gov.au

Chances of Initial Entry Date Extension?

The chances depend on your individual compelling circumstances. You will have to prove it with supporting documents.

For example:

  1. Pregnant wife is not allowed to travel - You can submit a doctor report which clearly mentions that she cannot travel before a specific date or before the child is born.

  2. Kid exams in your home country - If your kids have to appear for important exams that fall around the IED (Initial entry date), you can submit the exams calendar duly signed by school principal as a proof.

  3. Important medical condition/surgery - Letter from the doctor explaining the medical requirement.

Note that the final decision rests with the Australian immigration department and if they do not find your documents and reason good enough, they may reject your extension request.

Australian Immigration DIBP IED extension policy

DIBP is usually pretty strict with the Initial Entry Date (IED) and clearly, mentions that cannot be changed or extended once the visa is granted.

The visa holder must enter Australia before the date specified.**

Your visa can be canceled if you do not enter by initial entry date unless exceptional and compelling reasons have prevented them you from traveling.

Do all applicants have to enter before IED?

Yes, all applicants in the family have to comply with their Initial entry date requirement individually.

Is Australia Visa canceled if IED extension request is made?

No, the visa is not canceled simply on your IED extension request.
In the worst case scenario, they will just reject your IED extension request.

IED extended as wife expecting, Child born - Does child need PR visa too?

Yes, your newly born child also needs his/her separate visa before you can take him to Australia with you for your ‘Initial Entry Date’.

IED extension facilitation letter

Once your IED extension is approved by Australia DHA (Department of Home Affairs), they will issue you a ‘Facilitation letter’.
Keep this letter with you to prove your extended date when you travel to Australia.

IED extension processing time

You can expect a response within 2-7 days.