What is the rule of thumbs for choosing the right skill?

(Harry) #1

As someone with IT background, did a bit of programming, project management, web development and a few more, there seems to be so many jobs that I might be able to pick for “Nominated Occupation” and this is very confusing which one to pick when I submit my application in the near future.

Should I check against the Nominated Occupation I choose with the Preferred Location demand skill list (skill list is a bit confusing Short Term and Long Term, would that mean if I choose Short Term skill I might get rejected? Confusing)

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

(Anil Gupta) #2

The job code that you choose should match 65% with what you have the work experience letter for.

For example, if you have worked 3 years as project manager and 7 year as developer.

1. If you choose the job code for ‘software engineer’ or ‘developer programmer’, your 3 year of project manager experience will NOT be counted as relevant.

2. Similarly, if you choose the job code for ‘Software project manager’, your 7 year developer experience will NOT be counted as relevant.

So, choose the job code that can give you maximum number of years as relevant experience.

Relevant experience: your work skill letters should match at-least 65% with the actual job requirements.

(Harry) #3

Thank you very much for your wisdom and the prompt response. Just reporting back my finding as I was doing a bit of research here Search by Australian State – Anzscosearch, it seems to me that WA (Western Australia) seems to be closing its door to many skills (except for post-graduate level {PHd & Master}).

Have you noticed that too or I am just interpreting their message incorrectly?

(Anil Gupta) #4

Yes, that’s true. I am also seeing that they are inclined towards reducing the immigrants with some set of skills.

(Harry) #5

I have one confusion. If a particular job title is no longer showing available under visa subclass 189 (independent point-test stream), and should you apply for it, would that mean my application will be rejected? i.e. it seems that web developer job title seems not available to be applied under subclass 189. It is also apparent that many states aren’t willing to sponsor that profession except for Northern Territory which I am not considering to relocate anyway.

What would happen if I choose to submit my application choosing “web developer” as my nominated occupation and apply to Southern Australia or Western Australia under subclass 189 and 190 visa options? Would it be rejected?

Thank you very much for helping out answering my questions patiently.

(Anil Gupta) #6

You cannot apply for the job profile that is not on the list.