USA state police checks also required with FBI clearance for Australia?

Hi there,

I am also asked by the Dept of Home Affairs in Australia to provide FBI Police clearance certificate as well as the state police checks for my PR application.

Since I used to live in the States (Maryland and New York), do I also have to get the police check from each state?

Or will the FBI Police clearance certificate cover all the state police checks and suffice this requirement?

Cheers,
JC

Have you been contacted by Australian Immigration case office (CO) and asked to provide state police checks explicitly?

I have not heard of state police checks being required earlier. Only FBI police clearance is sufficient if they have NOT asked for state police check explicitly.

Yes, Anil, the notice from them says that “Police clearance certificates must have 12 months validity for United States FBI and State (Maryland etc) police clearance”.

So I am not sure if FBI clearance will be sufficient in this case, although it does cover the national clearance?

ok…if they have specifically mentioned the state, then you need to get clearance from local state police department too.

USA state police clearance needed + FBI clearance

I checked it on Australia Immigration website and they indeed have mentioned it here:

US citizens and permanent residents: ‘FBI Identity History Summary’ issued by the FBI or an approved channeler and a State Police Clearance for each State in which you have lived for at least 3 months for the last 12 months.

US temporary residents and visitors: ‘FBI Identity History Summary’ issued by the FBI and if you resided in the US for at least three months in the past year, a State Police Clearance for each State in which you have lived for at least 3 months during the last 12 months.