US Legal Status proof for Indian passport - Document list

Any one of these Remark
I-797 Notice of Approval or Pending Application receipt
Green Card
Employment Authorization Card (EAD card) H4-EAD card including other types of EADs
Valid I-20
Current Valid US Visa Stamped in passport

I94 is not a valid Proof.

Indian Passport Renewal with US B1/B2 Visa?

Please note that US Visa – B1/B2 is not considered a valid visa for passport reissue or renewal except if your passport is

1. Lost or Damaged Passport OR
  2. Handwritten Passport and you want to convert it to Machine Readable Passport

Related: How to replace your US visa if your passport is lost or stolen

H1B / H4 Extension pending with USCIS

In case your H1B or H4 extension, amendment or change of status is pending with USCIS and you need to renew your Indian passport, you have the option to select this scenario while creating CKGS passport application:

You can renew your passport with your i797 notice of receipt issued by USCIS.
Here the ‘Application number’ = USCIS receipt number.

Sample USCIS i797 C - Notice of action

J Visa and i94 as D/S

Choose EAD option in CKGS legal status proof and then write DS number.

Indian passport renewal with US Visa - AS6, AS7, AS8, A19 and C, CO8

Asylee applicants are required to visit the Consulate in person between 10 AM to 12.30 PM from Monday to Friday (except holidays).

• CKGS will not accept these applications at its Center
  • CKGS call center will not be able to assist you in any way. All communication in this regard should be directed to the Consulate.

4 posts were split to a new topic: Does CKGS accept USCIS email receipt printout to prove pending visa application?

3 posts were split to a new topic: CKGS returned application - cant process without H4 i797

I need to renew my passport. I have a valid H1B on my passport and valid I94 as well, however, I do not have my I-797. It appears that the I-797 is the only allowed document for proving my valid US legal status. I see some older posts online stating that a notarized copy of the H1B visa is valid proof. Do you guys think I can use the VISA in my passport as valid proof of my legal status for CKGS?

I need to renew my passport. I have a valid H1B on my passport and valid I94 as well, however, I do not have my I-797. It appears that the I-797 is the only allowed document for proving my valid US legal status. I see some older posts online stating that a notarized copy of the H1B visa is valid proof. Do you guys think I can use the VISA in my passport as valid proof of my legal status for CKGS?

My L1 Visa extension is currently pending with USCIS. I need to renew my daughter’s passport. I can understand from your post that I can submit I797C receipt notice as the valid Legal Status proof for my daughter. I hope the same will apply for both parents as well? Can I submit Receipt copies (I797C) of myself and my wife as ‘Valid US Visa Copies of Both Parents / Guardian’? Please advise.

Hi @Sabyasachi_Ganguly

Yes, you can submit parent’s pending application receipt copy too.

Hi Anil. Im applying to renew my Passport and as US Legal Status proof im putting down option of L Visa. But its also asking for EAD, which i dont have and its not allowing me to proceed without EAD. Any clue what is the way out?

I don’t understand question and situation.

Should we submit the original I797C receipt or the notarized copy ? Does this document alone suffice for legal status ?

My spouse’s i797c receipt notice from USCIS lost in mail and we didn’t receive the copy. When we enquired USCIS about it, we got an email response stating that they couldn’t produce duplicate receipt notice but they able to confirm they sent the receipt copy quoting the receipt number and they said that the same email response can be used for future references.
Can I use this email copy as a proof for US legal status proof while applying for the passport. Will it be accepted. Please confirm?