Travel outside USA, H-1B with Consular processing?

Asking for a friend who is currently outside the USA in an emergency. His employer is planning to apply for an h1 extension with consular processing soon (the only option for his case). So, can he work temporarily with an “H1b approval notice with consular processing” or have to wait until he gets stamped and returns back? Please advise.