Suggestion on applying for H4 EAD with expiry approaching in 6 months

Hi,

I am on H1B and my wife is on H4, with both of our visas set to expire on 6/28/23. I am planning to apply for my wife’s H4 EAD but need suggestions on what route to follow:

1. Apply for H4 EAD now. In this scenario, what could happen if EAD gets approved / doesn’t get approved before visa expires?

2. Apply for H1 Extension, H4 extension and H4 EAD concurrently. My employer will file it for me in premium but isn’t it true that H4 extension will need to be approved before H4 EAD?

Step 2 will be done anyway, but just wanted to understand if it is better if I file it myself now instead of waiting for my employer to save time?

Thanks in advance!

Based on my knowledge of H4 and H4EAD processing timeline, i doubt you will get them approved before Jun2023.

Option 2 you are anyway doing that will give you and H4 and H4EAD sometime by end of 2023. That really doesnt help i know as the spouse will not be able to work till end of 2023.
Cons of applying H4/EAD are none in my knowledge but please check with others in the forum.