SSN processing time after H4 EAD, SSN implication on Tax filing

The USCIS case status website suggests our H4 EAD card will be printed soon. I assume our application is approved and we will receive our EAD card in 1-2 weeks time.

Few questions -

1. We also applied for SSN along with H4 EAD. What is the average number of weeks for processing the SSN?

2. Is there a website to track our SSN application status?

3. From one of the blogs, I learnt about the website below for tracking SSN application? Is the information accurate?

SAVE

4. For 2018 Tax Filing purpose, since I did not have SSN I was planning to file a ITIN number for my spouse but since we have SSN arriving in few weeks after EAD card arrives, can I file my taxes using her SSN for 2018? If I can use my spouseā€™s SSN for previous year Tax filing than that would save me 6-8 weeks of processing time in ITIN application.

SSN card processing time after H4 EAd approval

SSN card processing takes around 4 to 6 weeks once H4 EAD has been approved.

Website to Track SSN application status

I am not aware of any website that can be used to track SSN application status online.

Not sure if SAVE USCIS system can be used for SSN application tracking. It is usually used by government agencies to verify your lawful status and not SSN.

You can follow the blog (wherever you read) and then share the information with us too if you are able to track your SSN application on SAVE system.

Using SSN or ITIN for filing Taxes

You can use the SSN to file your taxes or ITIN based on your convenience.

Hello Anil,

As usual, appreciate your prompt response. I will definitely share any valuable information to track SSN application on this thread if I come across and is credible. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello Readers,

CC: @Anil_Gupta

Iā€™m just sharing my spouseā€™s SSN experience here. At the time of H4 EAD application, we did mark the field to apply for SSN as ā€˜Yesā€™, but when we called the SSN office in our area they could not find anything in their system.

So next day, my spouse went to the SSN office and applied for SSN herself and received the card in 5 business days.

My advise for other H4 EAD applicants would be rather than waiting for weeks to receive the SSN card, just go to a nearby office and apply yourself.

Great. Thanks @hds6825 for sharing the details. I appreciate it.

@hds6825
CC: @Anil_Gupta

Did your spouse have to go the SSN office to inquire if the SSN was issued and what details were asked to find if SSN was already issued or not.

In our case, the EAD card arrived 3 days back and we had marked the H4EAD application with ā€œyesā€ for SSN.

1 Like

We are in the same situation. Received the EAD card but still waiting for SSN. Do we need to specify that we checked the Box ā€œYESā€ in the application if we go to the SSN office to get it done directly?

@saravind91: How did you get an appointment at the SSN office. The SSA website mentions that SSN office will remain closed due to Covid-19.

Hello. Same issue. Received Ead card but no ssn yet and when I call the ssa office they say thereā€™s nothing in the system. Due to Covid the offices are closed as well. Anyone who has a work around for a similar issue.
Thanks

HI Sneha,

Have you received the SSN? EAD approved 10 days back and card received 3 days back. Should I call the SSN office and check or should i check for in-person options?

Any update on your SSN? Iā€™m on the same page, let me know your experience so that i can adhere the same.

Hello,
yes I got the ssn after 3 weeks of the EAD card. So you will get it around that time. Keep a look out.

Same situation here. I didnā€™t received SSN after 4 weeks of EAD approval. SSN offices are closed due to Covid , couldnā€™t get appointment. Is there any workaround.
Also my EAD will be expiring on Dec , have to renew it, in this case do I need to re-apply SSN in the I-765 form or can I leave it blank. Please advise.
cc:@Anil_Gupta

Hi Aparna,

When did you guys applied the H4 EAD and thru which processing center
How many days it took to approve the EAD after biometrics.

I have applied the H4+EAD(change of status from H1) on 3/20(thru Nebraska service center) and given the biometrics on 9/17 ,till now I didnā€™t see the case status updated in USCIS site.

Hi Vamshi,

When did you guys applied the H4 EAD and thru which processing center
How many days it took to approve the EAD after biometrics.

I have applied the H4+EAD(change of status from H1) on 3/20(thru Nebraska service center) and given the biometrics on 9/17 ,till now I didnā€™t see the case status updated in USCIS site.

Hi Sri,

I have applied my H1+H4 back in January and H4EAd in April. Got h4 from Texas center in August 1st week and EAD in August 4th week from California center.

Thanks Vamshi for the prompt response.

After biometrics how many days it took to approve h4 ,Please update.

Hi Sri2020,
I have applied H4+H4EAD in Dec 2019 and Bio in January. After RFE H1 approved in March and h4 in June second week, EAD in August 20 from Texas center.

Thanks Aparna for the quick update.

It took around 6 months.