San Francisco SFO Indian Embassy Power of Attorney Attestation Experience

Hi @guy_nyc
I am not sure I understand your question correctly.
Can you elaborate?

The photo is mandatory to be pasted on POA.
The sign should be on the PoA and not separately on separate paper.

The POA document I have does not have a photo; it was sent by a lawyer in India. Will the apostille authorities or the Indian consulate insist on this?
With regards to the separate sheets of paper; I was merely referring to one of the earlier posts where the person said they ended up with 6 pages; 2 for the POA, 2 for the notary and couple more from the apostille office. My notary signed on the main POA document so I should be fine there.

Was the POA on letter size (8.5 x 11) paper or legal size (8.5 x 14)?

HI @mkhatri19
You can use any size paper. There is no specific requirement from Indian embassy.

Generally, people use A4 size paper.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Send original US passport and Driving License to Indian Embassy for POA attestation?

2 posts were split to a new topic: How to get signature of the person in India on PoA before attestation

Hi,

How long does it take for you to receive the package from consulate!

I am also in the same position. Please let me know!

Thanks!

How long does it take to receive the POA from consulate?

How long does it take for you to get the docs back from consulate! Pls let me know!

Applied by mail

Complete the Miscellaneous Services Application and get all the documents Notarized if you are sending by mail, you can use UPS for notary, they charge 10 $ per document.

Documents that are to be notarized

1. Visa status – I’m on F1,i have enclosed a copy of OPT EAD and a letter stating that I have applied for OPT-extension only if you had applied and waiting for opt extension
  2. Proof of Residence – Driving License
  3. first 5 and 2 pages of Indian passport
  4. Passport in original
  5. Apostilled Original document to be attested state governor office ,they charge 3 $ per document, the office was near to me ,so I went in person it took 15 mins ,if that’s not possible you can send through mail it will take around a week
  6. POA documents to be attested
  7. Cashier’s cheque Cashier’s Check/Money Order should be drawn in favour of CONSULATE GENERAL OF INDIA, SAN FRANCISCO" ,its 22$ if you don’t need a photo ,with photo its 32$
  8. pre-paid return mailing envelope for return mail .

Total cost ( 50$ notary +15 $ mail+3$ Apostilled fee +$22 consulate fees+ 10$ printouts)= 100$

I have sent the documents on 04/17/2019 ,it was sent back to me on 04/22/2019 ,the processing was very fast ,will update more once I receive the documents.

1 Like

Hi @manoj_m

Thanks for sharing your experience with SFO embassy.
I am confused with last part though. You say that you received the documents back on 4/22.

Do you mean that your POA was sent to you after attestation by SFO embassy on 4/22? If yes, then what documents are you waiting on currently?

Can you help clarify?

I’m waiting on POA attestation done by SFO embassy,the return shipping tracking was activate today morning

For Power of Attorney at Embassy do I need to take any property papers? And where does one paste photo on the POA document.

Hi @kmurthy
There is no need to take property papers.

Sample Power of attorney is given here.

Hi,
I had been reading this thread and followed the steps for my POA, which I have to send back to India.

1. I got the POA document notarized from public notary.
  2. Went personally to Secretary of State office in LA (2 hrs drive) and got the document apostilled.

It is not possible for me to go to SF to the Indian embassy, so I will be sending the documents along with the required photocopies and original passports by mail.

The embassy website mentions, Photocopy of all supporting documents should be notarized and attached to the application.

• Passport pages 5 front, 2 back pages
  • visa
  • Driving License

I have a question about notarizing the photocopies of the original documents. Where do I get those notarized? Does the notary charge $15 for every copy as they charged per signature on POA?

Just in case, if I plan to go to Indian embassy, SF in person, then do I need to notarize the photocopies?

Thanks in advance
Amol

Hi @Amol_SA

Free public notary is available in Bank of America, Chase, your local town library and your own office. Check and you will find one.

The Normal price per page of notary is about $5 which you can find an UPS shops, Fedex, USPS or private mail shops.

Thanks Anil,
I have sent the documents to SF, The USPS tracking shows that the package was received on June 05, 2019 at Indian embassy.
When I check the return tracking number it says - Label Created, not yet in system
I looks like it is not posted back yet. I read in this thread, that embassy processes the same day.
If I call them directly, do they respond?

Regards
Amol

HI @Amol_SA

The only way to track is to call SFO embassy. You can call and check.

Thanks Anil,
I tried calling Indian Embassy, but could not get anyone talking to me. The automated call went on for long time.
However I received my documents successfully yesterday. The signed POA was posted by Indian Embassy after 8 days.
The discussion on this thread was very helpful to me to understand the flow. Thanks everyone.

• Amol
1 Like

Hi @Anil_Gupta,
I sent 3 Power of Attorney documents and a passport copy for attestation along with the supporting documents, money order of 88$, my original passport and a return prepaid Express Mail envelope to the SFO Indian consulate through Express Mail. It reached there on June 24th. I have been waiting for it since then. This is urgent for me and I was expecting to get it back with a week. I tried calling the embassy with Miscellaneous extn as 148. It always goes to a prerecorded voice. I made like 50 attempts to call and was never successful in reaching an actual person. I also tried emailing twice to Miscellaneous Services Vice Consul - misc.sf[at]mea.gov.in and there is no response. Is this much wait time expected. Is there any other way I can track the status of my documents.
Thanks in advance for any help.