Question about Indian Citizenship for kid born in USA

Hello @Anil_Gupta
I have a question w.r.t the following article.
Indian Citizenship for US Born Child (Benefits, Problems?) - USA.

Consider the following scenario.

  1. Kid born in USA
  2. Birth registered with Indian Consulate in USA
  3. Obtained Indian Passport
  4. Travelled to India with Parents (Parents on H1B and H4 Visas respectively)

Question1: Is it possible to obtain H4 Visa for a kid possessing Indian passport, but has a birth certificate from USA? Or is the kid ineligible to enter the US without US passport?

Question2: Do Indian Consulates provide birth certificates when a child’s birth is registered with them?

Thank you so much for your support as always.


Your child is a US citizen by birth. You should apply for his/her US passport through US embassy if you are outside US.

A travel document is required to travel to the US.

If you apply for US visa like H4, US embassy may not issue it since the child is a US citizen.

1 Like

Thank you for the response.