Passport renewal with pending H4 extension

Hi anil, I just want to know about my chance of passport renewal … I am on h4 visa , which got expired on July-2018. Our visa is in extension now…My passport gonna be expired on November 30. We have submitted my passport and required documents on oct 5… Till now it says under processing… now my question is do I have chance to get my passport renewed in this situation? Or should I move to India?Did anyone faced this situation?

Hi @Baru

Don’t worry, your passport will be renewed with no issues.
It is normal process and there is no need to move to India.

It happens with hundreds of people everyday as they file for extension.

The normal processing time for passport renewal is 4-6 weeks. So, just wait and you will get it soon.

Thank you Anil … you made my day …

1 Like

Hi Vasanth how are you
This is Abhilash from Fisecglobal I came on a H4 and my i94 is expiring on Jan 9th 2020 and passport is expiring on May 22, 2020 . I already filed my i-539 & H4 EAD in the month of July 2019 still it is pending process

Can you please Help me with my situation and below questions

1.) Now in my current situation when my i539 is in process can I apply for passport renewal
2.) Since I applied for I-539 Extension of Stay if I get approved before my i94 Expiry do I need to still cross the border and come
Else Can i re apply I-539 like a renew process
3.) How many days before we have to file the i-539 Extension of stay when i94 expires
4.) If in worst case if i539 still pending and i94 expires what to do
5.) I have my old H1 can we recapture that case

What is the best suggestion at the moment
I don’t want to cross the border and come which option is best and helpful

Help me your efforts are truly appreciated

Hi @Abhilash

Looks like you have copy pasted your text from somewhere and that too blindly at some un-related thread.

We have moved it here.

Do you really want any answer?

Hi Anil
Thanks for your reply at the same time I am sorry
Yes I definitely need your help

I came on H4 Dependent Visa to US and my i94 is expiring on Jan 9th 2020 and passport is expiring on May 21, 2020 . I already filed my i-539 & H4 EAD in the month of July 2019 still it is pending process

Can you please Help me with my situation and below questions

1.) Now in my current situation when my i539 is in process can I apply for passport renewal now or better need to wait

2.) Since I applied for I-539 Extension of Stay if I get approved before my i94 Expiry do I need to still cross the border and come

Else Can i re apply I-539 like a renew process

3.) How many days before we have to file the i-539 Extension of stay when i94 expires

4.) If in worst case if i539 still pending and i94 expires what to do

5.) I have my old H1 can we recapture that case

What is the best suggestion at the moment

I don’t want to cross the border and come which option is best and helpful

Help me As soon as possible

Thanks & Regards
Abhilash

Hi @Abhilash

You can apply for your Indian passport renewal. That’s not an issue.

You can stay in US as long as you have filed your H4 extension before i94 expiry. There is no issue in staying past i94 expiry even if H4 extension is pending with USCIS.

You will have to file a new i539 extension if USCIS approves current pending extension application with short i94 if you do not want to go out and enter again.

There is no fixed rule with respect to number of days before i94 expiry, but USCIS official guidance is to file 45 days. But, people do file before a week or even 2 days before expiry too.