Non compete agreement with Employer Employer sue for quitting him and join client and demanding $30,000

I was working for a Desi consultancy(owner is Gujarati) in California and after lot of harassment, Threatens and unwanted pay deduction, no single leave through out 4 years.not providing H1/Lca copy.

i decide to move on and join client.
now he sues me and demand for 30,000 in California for breach of contract

Can anyone please advise me ,as I am completely stressed out and unsure of what to do in these circumstances?

I hired a lawyer but don’t know how long it will take to get out of it.
California is “at will” how can employer take this kind of action after working for him 4years without complain and no pay increase without any benefit

Your question is incomplete.

What kind of contract did you signed that he has sued you?

What has he sued you for? What is his demand?

What has your lawyer suggested?

signed non-compete agreement and demand $30,000 for damages.

lawyer is also expensive in this situation. he suggest to reply them and let see what happens

If you did sign a contract in the US, then it is legally valid.

You can negotiate with them to settle for lower amount.

I’m employed by agency ABC for client XYZ as a consultant and there is a vendor company DEF between client and employer. The employer has a non compete paragraph mentioned on offer letter. It states that one year following termination of employment one will not directly or indirectly solicit trade with end client, client or any supplier to the same end client on which contract assignment exists other than benefit of company.

Now client wants to convert me full time how can I go through process. Client can convince DEF but unless HR gives green signal won’t connect with ABC.Can the client connect with my employer and sort out by paying a fee. The employer is based in Georgia and client is in Florida. So work visa is sponsored by ABC but XYZ will have to file transfer. Any thoughts on how to go around this?