Is Mexico Visa Required for i94 Extension at US Mexico Border?

Since I-94 extension in most cases require crossing the Mexico border and joining the I-94 line from the Mexico side, can Indian Passport holders having valid US Visa (H1/L1) cross the US-Mexico border (from US to Mexico) without requiring the Mexico Visa?

Hi @Kaushik

Mexico Immigration counter is never touched when you cross border

First, crossing the border on the US Mexico border is just a convention.
You really do not go through Mexico’s immigration and hence are never asked to show Mexico Visa anywhere in the whole process.

You only go out of US and then immediately turn around and come back.

You will only need Mexico visa if you are refused entry to US by US immigration. In that case, you will have to go inside Mexico and pass through their immigration.

US visa is valid for travel to Mexico

Second, if you have valid US visa in your passport, you do not need Mexico visa separately.
You can travel to Mexico with your US visa. Mexico allows it.

Does that answer your query?

Thanks a lot Anil!!

I looked up the Mexico Visa requirements for Indian citizens living in US (but not US permanent resident) in Mexico Visa - Price, Requirements and Application - VisaHQ, and it’s showing confusing information.
That Mexico Visa site says “Citizens of India visiting Mexico for tourism or business do not require a Mexico visa as long as they hold a valid United States visa, or have permanent resident status in Canada, Japan, United Kingdom, or Schengen countries.”, but at the same time it also says “Mexico tourist visa is required for citizens of India.”.
Hence wanted to confirm as you have first hand experience!!

Do you know if similar procedure to extend I-94 is possible on the Canada side - do Indian Passport holders having valid US Visa (H1/L1) require Canada Tourist Visa to cross US-Canada border?
Since my place is nearer to Canada border than Mexico border, hence wanted to know.

Canada visa is required to enter Canada.
They do not allow entry to Canada using US visa.

Only Mexico has this policy at this time.