Is A number on PERM i.e ETA 9089 and I-140 the same?

Hi Anil ,

One thing i wanted to ask and confirm , is the A number on PERM i.e ETA 9089 and I-140 the same
I happened to read online PERM is for DOL and I-140 from DHS , as the two agencies are different hence the two A- numbers will also be different

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/what-is-the-difference-between-the-a----a-nnnnn-nn-1273179.html

Where do you see the A number on PERM?
As per my information, it is called ETA number.

A number is on i140 approval or any EAD card that you may have.

Hi Anil , the PERM has ETA case number for ETA 9089 which is 10 digit number , in my case it starts with T-XXXXX-XXXXX but my employer replied to me saying PERM # is A-XXXXX-XXXXX ( he basically replaced the T with A for the ETA case number)

Is this A number same on both PERM ETA-9089 as well as for I-140 and can i use this A number to file for FOIA

PERM ETA number and i140 A-number are not same

No, its not same.
A number on i140 approval is a 9 digit number whereas ETA 9089 number is a 10 digit number.
ETA number format : T-XXXXX-XXXXX
A Number format: A-XXX-XXX-XXX

I am not sure what you asked your employer and what did they replied with in their answer.
Did you ask them to share your A Number?

For more information about A number, check this link:

A number for FOIA request

Do not share the A number if you do not have the correct one. You can leave the A number field blank too.
USCIS can search your records based on other information that you share too.

This is great , thank you very very much for your explanation.

I do have my OPT EAD card with me from several years ago hopefully it should have my alien registration number , if not i will leave the A number blank and try to fill as much of remaining information just as you advise…thanks again

You are welcome. All the best and let me know if you need more information.

Is the A number on OPT card and A number on i140 approval both same ?
Will they change as both are diff documents.