Indian Passport Renewal for Minor - Sign or thumb impression

Hello Anil,

I followed your detailed post on filling the online application form for the renewal of my son’s passport who is 13 years old now. I guess the sample application that shows on the thread reflects the older form.

1. My question is if I will have to ask my son to sign on the applicant signature section or take his thumb impression?

2. In brackets, they have specifically said that if the applicant is a minor, then either of the parent has to sign. But in all other forms and documents under self attested copy, my son has signed and hence the confusion.

Don’t worry about the sign.

I have the signing requirement as to whether sign or thumb impression on the same passport renewal article for child at the bottom:

Copy pasting here for your referece:

SELF-ATTEST – just sign yourself along with your child.
If Child > 5 years, should write his/her name them-self.
If your child is less than 5 years, he/she should use his/her thumb print.
Both parent and child need to self-attest.
Each parent should self-attest their OWN document . Get your child to sign all documents too.
Mother should sign her OWN and Father his own. Mother CANNOT sign father’s document and vice versa.
For general document (like forms), any one parent can sign.

1. CHILD’s – Passport copies of First five and last two pages
  2. CHILD’s – Birth Certificate
  3. US Address proof – Utility bill or driving license or rental lease agreement on any one of parent’s name.
  4. Indian Address proof – Utility bill or driving license or rental lease agreement on any one of parent’s name.
  5. Mother’s – Color copy of passport pages that you have photocopied.
  6. Father’s – Color copy of passport pages that you have photocopied.
  7. Mother’s – Color copy of Visa or Green Card or I797 approval notice.
  8. Father’s – Color copy of Visa or Green Card or I797 approval notice.
  9. ANNEXURE ‘D’ – Affidavit for Applying Minor passport by parents
  10. Annexure ‘E’ – Specimen Declaration of the applicant on a plain paper
  11. CHILD’s – Color copy of Visa or Green Card or I797 approval notice.

The document where child sign is needed , when I go for attestation with out taking child they will ask me to sign ,is that ok for me to sign as well at some other place in corner and not designated for child

You can sign. No issues.

Thanks for the clarification

Hi Anil,

I have gone thorough your instruction but it is not giving clarification on sign on Page 5 of Application form

Page 5 instruction:
In brackets, they have specifically said that if the applicant is a minor, then either of the parent has to sign.

On page 1, minor sign on 1st page
who should sign on Page 5 ?
Option 1: Father /Mother
Option 2: Child

Please clarify.