I went to San Ysidro few days ago on 11/29 Thursday evening for I-94 renewal as my current one is expiring in mid January.
Sharing my experience here as it can be helpful for others.
- Drove from SF Bay area and reached San Ysidro around 5pm. Parked my car at the paid parking lot on 4570 Camino De La Plaza and walked to PedWest 499 Virgina Ave.
- Went into the building through the door on the left (as shown in the photo at the top of this page).
- It was almost empty, only 2-3 people were waiting. Had already paid the i94 fee online. Showed the printed receipt to the guy behind the counter on the right corner of the room
- Then waited for a CBP officer to call me. Told him that i needed to renew i94 and gave him old and new passports.
- Officer checked both my passports along with all visas in old passport, asked me couple of simple questions and asked for an Identity proof for which i gave my DL.
- Did not ask me for any other documents, did not ask whether i crossed the border and did not even ask me to cross the border. Directly issued a new i94 till end of my visa date.
- I was out of the building in barely 5 mins. Checked online after around 30 mins and it was updated with the new i94 number and expiry date.
When i started, I was a bit worried because of the clashes at the San Ysidro port of entry just 4-5 days ago and whether it will cause any delays or difficulties in the renewal process.
But the whole thing got over in 5 mins and I did not even have to cross the border. This could not have been anymore simpler.
Even if i was asked to cross the border, looking at the situation there, i would not have hesitated as everything looked pretty routine and normal.
Going on a weekday evening might have helped me, not sure about the crowds on weekends.
Thanks @Anil_Gupta for the detailed instructions which are really helpful for folks like me trying to renew the i94.