How to do I-94 extension or renewal after new Passport renewal in US?

Hi all,

I have similar problem and hoping to get some advice here.
I have H1b already stamped on my passport valid until July 2021. However given that my passport expires in November 2020, I got I-94 until November 2020. I received my renewed passport recently. From what I have read, there are three ways to renew I-94:

1. H1b extension filed by employer. (As fas as I know, this can only be filed 6 months prior to visa expiry, so in my case it can be filed earliest on Feb 2021), so I am assuming this option wont work for me.
  2. Travel outside and come back to US. (I was planning on doing this but with yesterday’s executive order banning H1b visa issuance and entry, I don’t really want to do this)
  3. Take a chance of extending at some CBP or SENTRI office.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions are helpful.

Thanks!

I think you should talk to your employer. They should be able to start the extension process now I think. Or at least get the I-94 extended. You could also try to go to a nearest airport CBP office to get it extended since yours is still valid.

I am just listing things that I would try… Anyways talk to your employer’s attorney first. See what your options are…

Thanks

Hi Anil,
Need your suggestion. I have stamped my visa which is valid March 2022 , But I got I-94 until October 2020 as per passport validity when I entered into USA in January 2020. I got my new renewal passport and would like to extend my I94 without crossing USA border . What are all best options ? Is there any local CBP office can extend my existing I-94 with new date ?

Thanks in Advance .
GK

Hi GK,

I went to Laredo, TX CBP office to get extend my i-94, I didn’t cross the border.
They asked my passport i797 copy.

Thanks
Ravi

1 Like

Hi Ravi,
Thanks for your reference. Do you see the newly updated date in CBP portal ? I hope I can visit my local CBP office by showing visa copy which is valid until March 2022 as well as I797

Thanks,
GK

Hello Ravi,

Thanks for updating the forum with your exp, during the COVID are we still allowed and what are the precautions you need to take . Mask/sanitizer/gloves what else do we need apart from what is mentioned . Is it too crowded with lot of people from MX . How is the situation there ?
Im not TX local and nearest is Laredo CBP for me so checking what is needed

Thanks in advance

Hi Jampa,

I went in the month of June 2nd week and visited CBP office at 6AM, I’m the only one inside. I went with mask.

Thanks

Hi GK,

I am in the same situation as yours. My I-94 is expiring in October 2020 whereas my visa is valid till 2022. Were you able to get your I94 updated in local CBP office? (I live quite far from Texas/California border so looking to avoid long flight :slightly_frowning_face: ).

Thanks

Hi Vinit,
Local CBP office will do corrections , can’t extends I94 and received emai confirmation on the same. You have two options.

1. Cross the border and reentry into USA.
  2. Apply extension

We did the second option Choice is yours

I went in June to Laredo. And it was pretty okay. We want on Saturday. Not much crowd. But social distancing was maintained. Masked were on…

Thanks GK for that info.

How did you apply for extension? Would the form I-539 be fine for this purpose (I am on L1 work visa) or did you use the form I-129?

Regards,
Vinit

Hi Viinit,
Our visa status is H4 and applied extension through I-539. We have gone through our office immigration which is their responsibility. Since you are on L1 , I would recommend to check with your office immigration and as per my knowledge , you have to file extension by applying I-129 . Please double check with our office before take a call . All the Best

okay, thanks for the info GK. Seems like either I-129 would have to be done or would need to go to Mexico border.

Hi, My I94 expired 2 days ago and just noticed it. I have my stamped valid visa up to Aug 2021 but on entry the i94 was marked until sep12th based on the expired passport. Have my new passport now, Can I go to sandiego and cross the border. Will there be any complications.

please advice. What are my other option

@G4mb1T @Anil_Gupta Can you advise on this please

Hi

Did you get it renewed ? If yes , how ? We are in the same boat

Hello all,

Here is my experience with San Ysidro, my old passport got expired on 08/16/2020, and I have my visa till March 31, 2021. I was not aware of this i94 extension process,
I came to know recently only but it was already two months passed.

It will be a big post so whoever is looking for the fast answer, the answer is “yes” its success. People who have time can read the full experience below:

So First,I tried reaching LAX Deferred Inspection Office by email(because my last entry was LAX only) I94LAX@cbp.dhs.gov but they replied below:

“THIS IS NOT A CORRECTION. YOU WERE ADMITTED CORRECTLY UP TO THE VALIDITY OF THE PASSPORT PRESENTED.
REQUEST EXTENSION THROUGH USCIS OR LEAVE THE COUNTRY AND RETURN WITH A NEW PASSPORT AND A CURRENT VISA”

Requesting Extension through USCIS(using Form I539) wont work because I read like it will take 6 to 8 months, but I need updated i94 asap for my next extension, Also, I’m not sure whether
I can apply i94 extension after expiry. So the best option left for me is crossing the border. Luckily I’m in Torrance and the Tijuana border is just two hours from my home.

So I planned to drive on 10/17/2020 (Saturday), my only concern is , i-94 already expired so I was worried how will they treat this case. My only hope was one of the forum,
someone mentioned like his spouse h4 expired on November 2019 and later sometime only he updated the i94, Also , I called San Ysidro CBP office(619-662-2229) and explained my situation,
Officer said I have to reenter asap since its already out of status but he didn’t say anything like its illegal and your entry will be denied something like that.

So having all those stories in my mind, I started my drive on Saturday morning around 6.30 am, so I drove all the way to the “Las Americas Premium Outlets”

Outlets Address - 4211 Camino De La Plaza, San Diego, CA 92173

So I parked my car in the outlets mall and I started my navigation to “san ysidro land port of entry west pedestrian facility”

So we have two option here, San ysidro land port of entry west pedestrian facility and san ysidro land port of entry east pedestrian facility.

In one of the forum someone mentioned like without crossing border , he updated the i94 in the west port of entry, so I thought of give a shot here.

It’s just 3 mins walk from the outlets parking,I just crossed the signal and took right, end of the street ,I saw the office. There was one officer standing outside.

Before I ask anything he told me the Office is closed, then I told him I came for i94 extension, then he went inside and asked someone.
He came out and told me like, the officer who will do the i94 things wont work on Saturday, and he asked me to come Monday 6 am to 2 pm.

But I don’t want to do it again,because even they can ask me to cross border so I moved to East side office, this one you to walk little bit, you have to cross the bridge. you can find it easily once you are there.

So i told the same thing to the one of the officer in the east side office, he asked me to cross the border and come back again, before entering into USA port of entry,
he told me like there will be a yellow building, where i have to do the extension.

So I crossed the border and just started to walk back to the USA port of entry, while going you can find the yellow building on your right side, you can see board like “Permits” in
that building.

I have to pay 6 $ fee there for the extension but there was no one in the counter, other officer called me who is next to the counter, i told the same thing again.
I gave my old and new passport and also my i797.He asked to sit in the chair opposite to his counter.

So here is the most tension phase comes:

He checked my i94 and he was not sure how to proceed further since i94 was already expired. He was discussing with other officers in front of me, I didn’t understand what they
were talking, All I heard was Aug 16 2020. So many things were running into my mind, I was thinking like:

1. What will happen to my car if they deny my entry? Will they tow away somewhere?
  2. Where to go next? Can I fly to LAX and give another try?
  3. How to convey this to my wife as she is staying alone in the home.
  4. Worst case, I have to go back to India but I made my mindset for everything.

So after all these things, half an hour later, one more new officer came and he explained my case to him. But this time I heard clearly , new officer told him like, “this one is
just the old passport got expired and later he renewed the new one so this just needs to be updated in the on-line. I can do that” After I heard this, I became normal. So the new officer
called my name and he confirms me why I’m there(just for i94 extension), I said yes. He asked me to pay 6$ (you need exact change) in the counter.

They gave me one receipt and again i went back to his counter and said I paid it, so he asked me to lower the mask, he took one picture and asked me to place the four fingers
for biometrics. After that he asked which city I’m ahead to. I said my city name.Then, I just asked,will it updated in on-line as well? he said “yes”.
Thats all.
All went well. I crossed the port of entry and drove back to my home.

Good luck for you as well. Hope this will help someone.

Hi @Vera can you let me know the steps u have taken. my visa stamp also expires and i would need to extend my i94 validity based on i797 copy

did you take your original I-797? i lost mine nad have a soft copy. not sure if they will accept it.

No they didnt ask me i797