How to do I-94 extension or renewal after new Passport renewal in US?

Thanks a lot for the information.
Give me one more info, Is it possible to update i94 on Saturday? or it must be on weekday?

~Shri

It should be open on Saturday. It’s a border so it should be open .

Hi,

What Sentri location in Arizona does the I94 update after the passport renewal? I have the visa already with expire of 12/29/2020.
Thanks in Advance.

After reading all the comments I am planning to go San Ysidro. Can anyone share the more detail on itinerary like which is the nearest airport and how to travel from nearest airport to CBP office. Do I need to plan overnight stay ?

San Diego airport is the nearest. About 25 mins drive from the airport. Overnight stay depends on where you are flying from and when you are landing at San Diego. If you are flying from the East you may need an overnight accommodation.

Hi @yshrini

Everything about San Diego border i94 renewal process with experiences is on this page:

My I-94 is expiring in a few months for the same reason. I do have valid I-797 but my visa stamp is already expired.

Can I still go to the Laredo CBP office to extend I-94 in this case?

If they ask me to cross border, would I be able to come back with the auto re-validation policy?

Hi @Vera

Read this page for Laredo TX process for i94 extension and what to expect.

Hi Anil,

Thank you so much for all your help!

Im on H4 visa. I just forgot to renew my I94 after i got my new passport.

It is been 4 months the I94 got expired, but i have all the valid documents required.
My question can i be honest with the officer at San Diego border that i forgot to extend my i94?
Do they ask for any proof or document for my illegal stay fir the past 4 months?
Appreciate your advice!
Jo

I was in the same boat. In my case it was 3 months after expiry. I told them exactly what happened. No secrets. Just in case it helps.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for replying!
Do i carry any other documents other documents?

Jo

I carried…
both passports, I-797, Employment verification letter, I-140 (It was not needed I believe).

They didn’t really ask me anything else… But I would carry all the documents that were mentioned by others who visited San Ysidro. Experience varies from officer to officer.

Thank you so much @G4mb1T! Very helpful information. I will try my luck, planning to go asap.

Hi all,

I have similar problem and hoping to get some advice here.
I have H1b already stamped on my passport valid until July 2021. However given that my passport expires in November 2020, I got I-94 until November 2020. I received my renewed passport recently. From what I have read, there are three ways to renew I-94:

1. H1b extension filed by employer. (As fas as I know, this can only be filed 6 months prior to visa expiry, so in my case it can be filed earliest on Feb 2021), so I am assuming this option wont work for me.
  2. Travel outside and come back to US. (I was planning on doing this but with yesterday’s executive order banning H1b visa issuance and entry, I don’t really want to do this)
  3. Take a chance of extending at some CBP or SENTRI office.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions are helpful.

Thanks!

I think you should talk to your employer. They should be able to start the extension process now I think. Or at least get the I-94 extended. You could also try to go to a nearest airport CBP office to get it extended since yours is still valid.

I am just listing things that I would try… Anyways talk to your employer’s attorney first. See what your options are…

Thanks

Hi Anil,
Need your suggestion. I have stamped my visa which is valid March 2022 , But I got I-94 until October 2020 as per passport validity when I entered into USA in January 2020. I got my new renewal passport and would like to extend my I94 without crossing USA border . What are all best options ? Is there any local CBP office can extend my existing I-94 with new date ?

Thanks in Advance .
GK

Hi GK,

I went to Laredo, TX CBP office to get extend my i-94, I didn’t cross the border.
They asked my passport i797 copy.

Thanks
Ravi

1 Like

Hi Ravi,
Thanks for your reference. Do you see the newly updated date in CBP portal ? I hope I can visit my local CBP office by showing visa copy which is valid until March 2022 as well as I797

Thanks,
GK

Hello Ravi,

Thanks for updating the forum with your exp, during the COVID are we still allowed and what are the precautions you need to take . Mask/sanitizer/gloves what else do we need apart from what is mentioned . Is it too crowded with lot of people from MX . How is the situation there ?
Im not TX local and nearest is Laredo CBP for me so checking what is needed

Thanks in advance

Hi Jampa,

I went in the month of June 2nd week and visited CBP office at 6AM, I’m the only one inside. I went with mask.

Thanks