How to avoid Dropbox even though I am eligible for it?

I want to go for family stamping with my spouse and son.

I qualify for drop box as my H1 visa stamped on passport expired September 10 2017. But based on my spouse and son’s passport stamped visa they don’t qualify for drop box.

When you got to “Schedule an appointment” link it asks some questions to decide dropbox qualification, one of it is “prior visa in the same class is still valid or expired within the last 12 months”.

How to disqualify for Dropbox even though I am eligible for it?

To disqualify for drop box does

1. my visa needs to be valid or expired within the 12 months on day of using “Schedule an appointment” link
    OR
  2. my visa needs to be valid or expired within the 12 months on the day I enter India
    OR
  3. my visa needs to be valid or expired within the 12 months on the day I could drop the documents to dropbox location.

So to get Stamping interview appointment for me do I need to schedule appointment through the website after September 10 2018 OR I can say NO to those questions now, get appointment and enter India after September 10 2018 OR I can simply say NO those questions now, get appointment and enter India well before September 10 2018 and just go for finger print and interview after September 10 2018.

Disqualify for Dropbox intentionally and Get US interview Appointment

You can start filling your Spouse’s application online first and then add your child’s application.

Finally, add your application.

Since, she does not qualify for Dropbox, the system will prompt you saying that you (H1B Visa) is eligible for Dropbox and you should create online application separately.

It will also say that if you move ahead with the application, all applicants in the current application will have to appear for US Visa interview irrespective of anyone of them eligible for Dropbox.

This way, you all 3 will be able to appear for interview at the same date and time and skip the Dropbox facility intentionally.

Does that answer your question?

Got it, but in that case still each visa applicant will be asked those questions independently to see if he/she qualifies for interview waiver program? if yes, then

Can DropBox eligible person say “yes” to eligbility and still appear for interview?

Can I say Yes to all my application questions and still can go for family interview, even after being prompted with warning as you mentioned (It will also say that if you move ahead with the application, all applicants in the current application will have to appear for US Visa interview irrespective of anyone of them eligible for Dropbox) ?

If yes then
will I be able to travel well before Sept 10 along with my family and go for bio-metric & visa interview on Sept. 11 & 12? will it be noted in a negative way that even-if I could have dropped documents for dropbox for my application well before 12 month expiry being in the country, I didn’t do it and opted for interview.

My only intention to go for family stamping together is to come back on time with family to avoid significant loss of my son’s school year.

Hi @DipAtTV

Choosing DropBox is your option - No negative effect

Choosing DropBox is recommended but not mandatory. Normally, the advise is to go for it as US embassy wants to reduce their work load.

But, you are allowed to opt for interview if you want.

I have myself skipped dropbox for my dependents (they were eligible for DropBox while I was not).

Choosing interview over dropbox - Dates have no issue

There is no effect on dates of travel and does not matter when you enter USA.
The dates that are asked in the online form are relative to the date of the interview with US visa officer in US embassy.
It does not matter when you enter India.

You can answer “Yes” to your specific application when it is asked for the 3 questions that you listed above. There is no need to change the answer forcibly there.

As I said, even though you say ‘yes’, if you have added your spouse’s (which is NOT eligible for dropbox) application, then your answers would be ignored and you will be asked to appear for interview as a group.

You will notice that once you answer ‘Yes’ (for your own application), you will be shown a notice that even though you are eligible for dropbox, you cannot appear as you have other applicants in the group who are not.

Hence, you will have to appear for interview too. This is perfectly normal. No need to worry.

Does that answer your question?

Thanks. So my spouse will be main applicant and my son, myself will be added as family member, while scheduling appointment it will check dropbox eligibility for my spouse,then my son and finally for me. At the end since it is family interview all of us will have to go for interview.

If this works can i select fingerprint & interview dates before Sept. 10 which is 12 month completion date for my visa expiry?

Yes, you can select it.
Don’t worry too much about the date. It does not matter.
Those questions are just for checking your eligibility for Dropbox facility.

They don’t matter in your visa interview decision.

Thanks for the clarification.

Did it work for you?

@DipAtTV
Can you share your post interview experience ? I am currently in a similar situation. Could you please tell me if they asked you something specifically regarding that or any negative impact ?

Thanks in advance

@ddhabal
I was able to go for family interview, wasn’t asked anything specifically or didn’t impact negatively. I guess once you are on interview window questions are typical H1B and H4 stamping questions.
But compared to my last interview this time I observed that H1(with third party job) and their dependents were asked more questions and additional documents.

1 Like

Thanks so much Dhaval…

Since, she does not qualify for Dropbox, the system will prompt you saying that you (H1B Visa) is eligible for Dropbox and you should create online application separately.

I am not seeing any of these pop up while doing the same process. Did you see this?

Hi @Tarun_Sadhnani

You will see the pop up for your wife if you add her after you first add yourself.

Anil,
I don’t see any dropbox eligibility pop up either. I am H1B and eligible for dropbox, but my wife and daughter (H4) aren’t. So based on the above recommendations, I started the online application with my wife’s (H4) applicant first, then added my daughter (H4) and finally myself (H1B). But when I proceeded to the next steps, it just asked the questions it typically asks for determining dropbox eligibility, which I answered correctly and it determined correctly that my wife is not eligible for dropbox. It did not determine that I (H1B applicant) am eligible for dropbox. The application just went to the fee page. Is this fine? or am I doing something wrong?

Also, since I started with my wife’s application first, I selected the visa class as H4, but I am H1B. Is this ok? Any chances that the officer at the consulate asks me why I applied for the interview in H4 class?

Appreciate any help.

thanks,
Vinod.

Hi @vinodnama
Usually, when you first add the person who is not eligible, and then the person who is eligible for dropbox, the system does warn you that create a separate application for person who is eligible for Dropbox.

It is possible that they have removed the pop up or it was blocked in your browser? Just thinking.

You can add the family members with no issue as group appointments are fine. Visa officer will locate your record using DS160 and not the information you give on appointment booking site.

As long as your DS160 shows your visa type as H1b, you are fine.

Hello Vinod,

Do you went for stamping for u n ur dependents? Can you share ur experience?

I called the consulate helpline today, they said if the primary applicant is eligible for dropbox, the interviews must be scheduled separately, for H1B dropbox and H4 non-dropbox.

I am confused. Please help.

Is this approach still feasible . Like add h1b as family member while scheduling appointment for my h4 wife.

Is interviwer going to ask question why appointment is not booked from h1b holder account

Hi I am in the same boat. I am eligible for dropbox for my H1B extension. But I will be getting married and then want to appear for interview together with spouse 1st time H4. Any feedback is appreciated how to handle this!

How did you proceed for it . i am in same situation as yours