H4 i94 extension by visiting SENTRI CBP office

Thanks for the information.

Can you help with these questions?

1. Her H4 visa has not been extended? Right?
  2. Only the i94 has been extended to match your H1B i797?
  3. What does her H4 i797 shows as the date?

Hi @ramakrishnasai_sola

You can file H4 EAD using H4 i94 that you currently have. You only need to mention the H1B receipt number on form i765.

Read this for Travel risk while H4 and H4 EAD are pending:.

Hi @ramakrishnasai_sola

Answers have already been given on the above links. Please read and understand carefully.

I don’t want to repeat everything here again which has already been explained on the above articles.

Hi Anil,
My wife’s H4 I94 expired along with passport expiry on April 7, 2019. We got the new passport but failed to realize her I94 expiration. Her I797 is valid till November 1, 2019. Her visa stamp on old passport is valid till 2022. Will it work if we try out the CBP office at the Mexico border to extend her I94? We are worried that she is out of status since April 7th and will that prevent her getting her I94 extended.

Hi @Bharat_Kumar

You do not have any other option at this time. Your wife should leave US and re-enter to get new i94 anyway.

Your best bet is to visit the US Mexico border.

3 posts were split to a new topic: I94 extension for E3D visa - shorter expiry than E3 primary i94

Hi Bogendra. I have a similar situation. Is there a possibility can we pls discuss. could you pls reach me. six five seven two four six five five three one is me. can you please call me or share your email/contact

Hi Anil

My h4 visa expired in Sept 2021. H1 - 797 is approved till 2024. Based on primary’s approval, can i visit CBP and request to update my i94. I know chances are less but do you think its possible.
PS - I cannot cross border as no stamped visa. Also H4 extension is pending .
An suggestions pls ?

Hi Anil,

I have my current H1b expiring on 29th April 2022. Also my wife H4 is expiring on same day. My new H1b extension is approved and my wife H4 extension is in process. Can I visit CBP office and have her I-94 extended based on my new I-797 approval? If yes can you also let me know which CBP location I can use for this purpose? Also Is there a website to book an appointment for this? Any information/direction will be helpful. Thanks.

Regards,
Jay

Hi Jay,
Were you able to get the i94 extended? I’m in the and situation.

Hi Aksshay,

No i am not able to extend. I did not get any updates or more details on this from this blog. I am waiting to get more information on this and see if someone can can provide more details.

Akshay, also please let me know if you find any useful information from anywhere. I will also keep you updated if I find anything. Thanks.

Regards,
Jay

Extension of status at CBP road borders may or may not work 100% of time.
Better way is to fly to Mexico over a weekend, say cancun and fly back. The CBP at POE will extend H4 based on the primary H1B.
Note that if your H1B/H4 visa is expired you will need to apply for tourist card for Mexico visit.

1 Like

I was able to get the H4 I94 extended by visiting Laredo border.
Laredo center is well aware of this. In fact when we were entering the US side (after half way through the bridge), one officer asked if we were there for h4 i94 extension!

They do check for H4 extension receipt. Officer told they won’t extended i94 if there was no H4 extending filed n is pending.

Let me know if any questions. Happy to help!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Can I try getting the I94 extension without I797 approval notice in hand since my case is approved in the system and CBP has access to it? I don’t have enough time to wait for my husband’s H1 Approval Notice.

While the CBP can look up for immigration records, I think you do need to carry copy of the primary H1B approval notice. Call the CBP office you are planning to visit and ask them.

My husband has 10 days extra on his I94. If I extend it on the basis of that, Is it possible to work till then per 180 day extension rule while waiting for approval notice? Once I get it I can extend it again?

Do we need to file h4 extension if i get h4 i94 extension based on h1b extension approval?

No you don’t until within 180 days of your I-94 expiry.

Hello Bogendra,
Can you please call me, I have a similar situation. My number is four one four three six eight seven seven eight zero.
Thanks