H4 EAD, SSN still not received

Hi,

I got my EAD card 1 1/2 months ago. I applied for SSN in the 1st week of October. But I haven’t received it yet. I have the SSN application reference number and now I even have a job offer. My questions are:

1. Can I start the job without SSN?

If yes, how many days can I work without SSN? will the employer say without it you can’t do the job?

1. I am calling the SSN administration every day and hearing the same answer as “EAD status is not updated in DHS” and they are disconnecting the call. Whom can I contact to get it updated?

Any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Your employer needs SSN to run the payroll.

Did you try setting up an in-person appointment? How did you submit the application, in-person with all original documents ?

Yes, I went in-person and submitted the application in-person with all the original documents.

I would talk to USCIS agent via the chatbot Emma and let them know the issue and see if they can help check if the status is updated in their systems correctly.

Thank you so much for your suggestion.

The below link says I can do the job for 90 days without ssn. Is it correct ?
Most the Employees who come to USA with H1 will not have ssn on day 1. I think they can do. What’s your opinion?

What others think do not matter, you need to talk to your employer if they will allow you to work without SSN.