DS160: Has anyone ever filed an immigrant petition on your behalf with USCIS

Hello @Anil_Gupta

Greetings!!!

My H1B amendment+extension applied from India, has been approved recently. I am currently filling DS-160 and have following questions:

1. My last/recent H1B visa stamping was expired in August-2019. As per visa guidelines, I am eligible for drop box.
    However, I have returned to India in April-2017 (returned due to family reasons) and still living in India. In this case, will I be eligible for drop box?

2. In DS-160, for “Marital Status”, if I mention status as Divorced (Married in 2016 in India, spouse travelled to US along with me and stayed in US briefly for 4 months, returned to India in 2017, applied and got divorced in 2017, all legal proceedings are closed properly, in India), will there be any need to produce legal documents?
    Is Selecting “Single” advisable?

3. My employer has filed I-140 this year and it is recently approved. However, the petition number will not be shared by employer. In DS-160, for question, “Has anyone ever filed an immigrant petition on your behalf with USCIS”, What all details do I need to mention in the text box for option “Yes”?

I really appreciate your help in clarifying above questions.

Thanks & Regards,
Kumar

Dropbox eligibility is not affected by your stay in India. You should be eligible.

You should write divorced.

You have to say ‘Yes’ for immigrant petition question on DS160 form as your employer has filed an i140 for you.

1 Like

Hello @Anil_Gupta

Thank you for providing clarifications.

What sort of details do I need to provide in the text box for immigrant petition question? My employer didn’t share the I-140 receipt notice or approval copy.

Thanks,
Kumar

You can provide the i140 number. Ask your employer to share it with you.

1 Like

Hello @Anil_Gupta

1. Sure, I will check with my Employer and request for the I-140 number.

2. When I selected Marital Status as “Divorced”, in Family details section of DS-160, there were questions related to Former Spouse. There is this question “How the Marriage Ended” with a text box. I did not understand the intention of this question. My divorce was filed as mutual consent divorce. Please advice.

Thanks,
Kumar

You have to write the process by which the marriage has ended. They are not asking about the usual fights or any other personal stuff.

Just write what all formal process was followed to end the marriage.

1 Like

Thank you @Anil_Gupta

Appreciate your patience and your help in clarifying my questions.

Regards,
Kumar