Can dependent move to Canada with Open Work Permit alone?

(manoj) #1

Hi Anil,

I have a question regarding the Canada Open work permit,
I got Canada work permit through my employer with intracompany transfer processing, and my spouse got the open work permit as my dependent. Due to certain reasons, I cannot move to Canada immediately, Is it possible for my spouse to move to Canada with her open work permit before or without me, and she can find a job and start work.

Please suggest and let us know the best option.


(Anil Gupta) #2

Usually, the primary visa holder has to be present physically in Canada too for dependent to be eligible to maintain their status.

You have not got the Canada PR right?

If it is just a work permit, then, primary applicant should also be in Canada.

Your spouse can apply for jobs though from outside Canada.

(manoj) #3

Yes, i don’t have PR.

In case primary holder’s employer doesn’t have project assignment yet. Is it possible if primary person just move to Canada and don’t work, same time dependent can search the job.

(Anil Gupta) #4

As you have told that you have a temporary work permit attached to the specific employer, you cannot stay in Canada without working for them.

(manoj) #5

I and my spouse both have canada vistor visas too, is it possible if i could use my visitor visa and she can use open work permit, i just trying to figure out if there is any way she can work without me using work permit.

(Anil Gupta) #6

I am not sure if you are allowed to do that.

If possible, consult your employer in Canada before taking this step.