Attestation of Power of attorney at Indian Consulate in Australia

Hi @Abinesh_yuvi. How far along were you able to move forward with your process? Did you have to post your original passport to VFS for attestation by Indian Consulate? I emailed VFS last week asking if I need to do so but no response so far. Their phone support is also not open :-/

Yes, their customer service is not open yet.
These are the steps i followed.

1. Got the POA document attested by notary public
  2. Couriered the attested document along with Indian passport to vfs for final attestation.

Follow the steps in the “document attestation check list” in the below vfs portal.

Note: DFAT attestation is not required for Indian nationals.

1 Like

Hi Abinesh / RM / Anil
I also have to apply for POA , can you please correct me if I am wrong

1. Print out POA in simple A4 Paper , get it signed from 02 witness
  2. Then Visit the Notary and get it Notarised
    My Query is… What supporting document (Self and of the person in whose name we want to make GPOA) do we need to take to Notary for attestation of POA
  3. No need for DFAT…if you have Indian Passport
  4. Send the Notarised POA to VFS for Indian Consulate Endorsement…
    My Query is… What supporting document (Self and of the person in whose name we want to make GPOA) do we need to send to VFS for attestation of POA

Looking for the support.

Great, thanks for the update Abinesh.

@Gagan1976 Check with your lawyer in India if notary on plain white A4 paper works for your case. For me, I was told that it does but it’s best to confirm from where in India you are submitting this at.
Two witnesses need to sign it in front of the notary.
2. I did not have to show any document id of the person who I’m giving my POA to. I had to carry my Indian passport and local Australia Driving license. I think they need a 100 point check.
3. AFAIK, yes. But I haven’t completed my process yet.
4. Check the link which Abinesh shared above wrt VFS. It has the list of documents.

These are my personal opinions and not a legal advice :slight_smile:

Hi

VFS Link- | vfsglobal - vfsglobal
says that
"Important:

Attestation of signature - This service is given to Indian nationals holding valid Indian Passports only. The signature needs to be first attested by a JP/Notary. In the case of foreign nationals including Australian citizen, the signature should have been apostilled by DFAT before submission to VFS."

So it Means if we can get GPA signed by JP , I think that should also work , why to Pay Notary…
Any Suggestion Please …

Thanks
Gagan

Hi Guys,
I am in the process of getting a POA. I am an Australian citizen but also have my OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) card.

Just wanted to know if

1. The steps would be the same as listed above
    a) Print out POA in simple A4 Paper , get it signed from 02 witness
    b)Then Visit the Notary and get it Notarised
    c) Get DFAT
    d) Send the Notarised POA to VFS for Indian Consulate Endorsement…
  2. Where do I go for point 1.b). Is this just at any Australi Post office or a justice of the peace?
  3. What is the process to get an Apostille stamp on this POA from DFAT

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

Thanks @Abinesh_yuvi @order_response for sharing all this info, its really a saver.
I also need to start process to giving POA to my father in India.
So just outlining my understanding below, hope you will verify as per your expereince:

• Print Out POA on simple A4 paper.
  • Visit notary to get it notarised.
  • Send the notarised POA to VFS.

Some doubts in step 2(notary):

• Do we need to affix photographs of me, person to whom I am giving POA & witness on the POA?
  • Do notary has to put stamp on every paper of POA and all photographs?
  • Do witnesses also have to visit notary to sign them in from of him?
    or I can get them signed and then take that POA to notary?

I know its lot of questions, but you know in India they found any fault and reject your application so want to be sure :slight_smile:

@order_response I beleive you are in Melbourne, I am also in melbourne.
Can you suggest any notary and charges?

Thanks in advance,
Gaurav

Hi Gaurav,

With respect to printing the POA on a plain white A4 paper, I would suggest you get this checked with the authorities in India where you are submitting this asking if they accept this. In my case, it was acceptable but it varies by authorities.

• On the POA which you send from Australia to India, the only photograph(s) required are of you or the person who is granting POA to someone else. No photos of person who you are granting a POA or witness were required in my case.
  • Mine was a 2 page POA and the notary stamped on both the pages. I affixed photo on only the last page and cross signed it in front of the notary. The photo was not stamped by notary.
  • In my case, I took along a witness with me (my spouse) to the notary and the notary had one (his assistant) who signed in front of the notary.
    I got my notary done through John Pearce in Melbourne. He was very good and is very experienced with Indian POAs so I would recommend him. He charges by min and his charges are listed on his website. Just google for John Pearce Notary and check out his website.

Note: This is my personal opinion and not a legal advice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for a detailed explaination, really appreciated.

1 Like

Hi,

I’m an Indian Citizen living in Melbourne. I have to take power of attorney to buy a land and to apply loan from a bank (land and construction of house). Do i have to go for general POA or Specific POA?. can you please share the template.

I failry understood the process.

1. Print POA on plain paper
    2.Attest the POA and Passport copy by JP/Notary (i’m thinking go with JP)
    3.Send Original Passport, copy of passport, application and POA to VFS

Now i have a doubt with VFS appication and payment - how much and where i have to pay (it’s not clear on web site for miscellaneous services). can some one throw some light on application, payment, sending post and receiving the documents.
@gaurav.gupta @order_response

Thanks in Advance,
Vijay

@Abinesh_yuvi @Gagan1976 please share you views too

@Anil_Gupta please share your views too

@Vijay_Kumar

1. POA should be attested by Notary public not JP. JP attestation is not valid outside the country/state.

2. If you could get an appointment at VFS, you can make the payment there directly. If you planning to courier, then follow the steps in the Document attestation check list (download from the web).

@Abinesh_yuvi thanks for your response

Are you sure about the attestation part because in the all the vfs documents says JP attestation is fine. I’m Indian citizen.

Tomorrow I’m planning to attest so please confirm

Vijay

Yes, that is what my notary told me. JP’s attestation won’t be accepted outside the state (NSW, VIC).
You cam check with others who successfully processed their application with JP’s attestation or you can check with some Notary/ JP online.

Thank you @Abinesh_yuvi

As per all the information I had gathered, I did get my GPA attested from notary.
But when I visited vfs, the guy at vfs had advised me that JP will also be fine in case I need to get it done again in future(so for vfs JP is also fine but in India I am not sure JP or notary ).
And regarding the vfs charges, in melbourne normally they charge $70/page in case you want there signature on every page.
but in my case, I ONLY requested them to attest only first and last page so for that they charge around $75 and another $23 for courier.

If you are visiting vfs in person, they will ask you how many signatures you need and based on that they will charge you there only.
But if you are planning to send via post, then you should fill credit card consent form along with your application.
and once they start processing your application, they will call you to check how many pages you want to get attested and based in your answer they will tell you the charges on phone and deduct same from your bank account.

@gaurav.gupta how long it took for you to get attested copy… since VFS is not acccpeting in person i sent throught the post, it’s been 6 working days and so far no one contacted me. is there any way to track the status?

Vijay

It took 10 days to get a call from vfs and another 7-8 days to get back my documents delivered.